Business Development Director
About the role
Reporting into the SVP of Corporate Development, this exciting and impactful role will drive and support the assessment, development and execution of strategic plans in key applications areas identified for growth, with a focus on licensing (both corporate and academic), partnerships, and a supporting role in mergers and acquisitions. The individual will work to align with corporate strategy and the initiatives developed through the strategic planning process in key application areas that are likely to include edited cell lines, cellular assays and artificial intelligence and information systems for antibody and protein development. All aspects of this role will require strong cross-functional partnering and leadership, building positive relationships and gaining buy-in from business peers across multiple functions. This individual will combine technical and business expertise to build comprehensive strategies and recommendations for product application areas, to enhance and support Abcam’s global leadership in the antibody reagents and to judiciously move into close adjacencies. The selected candidate will help develop work content including market overviews and analysis, recommendations on execution plans, models, frameworks, presentations, recommendations, for senior level management consideration. The role will require working across these application areas to identify impactful licensing opportunities, investments, partners, acquisition targets, and technologies that expand and enhance Abcam’s product portfolio by bringing in new technologies and products into the company.
The candidate will combine scientific, financial and commercial expertise to collaborate with corporate development leadership, team members and partners cross functionally to proactively build and execute on Abcam’s strategy. The professional will build relationships with company targets, enhancing Abcam’s global reputation as the leading partner for development, supply, and licensing of research and diagnostics affinity reagents and beyond to identify new growth areas for the company. The role will require strategic planning and analysis, scouting for scientific collaboration opportunities from both academic and commercial sources, attending partnering events, the ability to cold call and build new fruitful business relationships, negotiating licenses and potentially deals, and working closely with internal teams to drive the growth of Abcam’s catalogue and custom services businesses. This individual is passionate about identifying new technology and driving product innovation.
About the department
The Corporate Development department is newly formed at Abcam, responsible for the activities related to bringing new technologies, products and services into the company, from licensing, partnering, investments through mergers and acquisition, and everything in between. In addition, the department manages integration activities following any transactions of size.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Develop comprehensive strategies with detailed analysis of market opportunities, Abcam’s capabilities, and positioning within a target market/landscape within key application areas (currently defined as edited cell lines, cellular assays and artificial intelligence and information systems for protein and antibody development and design).
- Develop presentations for internal meetings and , executive team, board, and investor level.
- Drive cross-departmental teams to successfully get buy in and support for the execution of corporate strategies.
- Help build and support Abcam’s strategic partners to most effectively grow Abcam’s current market position and lead Abcam into new business areas.
- Drive and support legal activities related to corporate development deals, including but not limited to: CDAs, MTAs, License agreements, Development and Partnership agreements.
- Develop and deliver impactful presentations to key internal and external prospects and stakeholders that are successful in persuading the target audience in supporting the business development initiatives.
- Partner with Corporate Development colleagues on acquisition execution and implementation.
- Attend conferences and events in key application areas related to strategic initiatives.
- Attend, and lead where appropriate, meetings related to corporate strategy for application areas, licenses, investments, deals and initiatives.
- The ideal location for this role would be Boston, MA could possibly be located in San Francisco, CA, or Cambridge UK. We would expect this role to involve at least 25%-30% travel
- The ideal candidate will hold a degree in Life Sciences or Business (PhD and/or MBA preferred) and possess a fundamental understanding of life science tools, research, drug discovery and development. Experience and contacts in life science tools such as edited cell lines, cellular assay field, antibodies, or artificial intelligence in the life sciences would be an asset to the role.
- The person must have proven cross leadership skills to build positive relationships across the organization to drive the buy in necessary to be successful for licensing, due diligence, and M&A. Persuasive presentation skills are critical to being successful in bringing senior leadership, peers, and external stakeholders along to completing transactions across the business development continuum.
- You should possess experience in a business development role preferably in the life science tools or the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry with a track record of successful licensing, corporate development, or commercial transactions. Significant experience drafting and negotiating confidential disclosure agreements (CDAs), term sheets, and other agreements (licensing, MTA, co-development). Good negotiating and relationship building skills along with a strong network in the life science tools market and a background in investment banking, equity research or a consulting background would be ideal.
- You would have experience in cross functional team building, as matrixed relationship skills will be critical to success of this role.
- You should be a highly motivated self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment and is able to exercise keen judgment in the course of navigating open-ended situations with a high degree of independence
- PhD or Master’s degree is Science or Business Administration
- 5+ years business development experience
- Life science tools business development experience or bench research; knowledge of artificial intelligence in the life sciences
- Friendly, positive, respectful, self-motivated, and a good team player
- Effective and persuasive written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoys and excels at troubleshooting and problem solving
- Ability to work independently and multitask
- Keen attention to detail
- Takes initiative and follows up on work appropriately
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.