Group Lead, Conjugation
About the Role:
Due to the continued expansion of our Technology Development (R&D) team, we have an exciting new opportunity for a Group Lead reporting into the VP of Technology Development. You’ll be responsible for establishing and leading a team of scientists who are responsible for setting up robust antibody conjugation processes for various applications.
Based in our new, state of the art Cambridge UK labs, the role will require the ability to manage a portfolio of scientific projects and design the appropriate development strategies. The successful candidate will predict probability of success and prioritize resources based on experimental data. It requires close communication with business partners in other areas and in other functions.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- You’ll be building and managing a high-performing team of Scientists & Research Associates with a current focus on conjugation.
- Using your experience in biochemical research and state of the art analytics you’ll guide the team to establish new capabilities in Abcam.
- Using your technical expertise on conjugation technologies to drive novel applications in antibody based analytics.
- Contribute to the success of Technology Development through a detailed understanding of the requirements of antibody expression and purification systems.
- Working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders across Abcam, you’ll ensure the conjugation team output is fit for purpose and meets the agreed expectations.
- In partnership with the Project Management office, you’ll be monitoring multiple protein expression projects, checking milestone completion and ensuring output of the group meets agreed targets.
You have an established track record of performing similar roles, with significant experience in an industrial or academic environment. You will enjoy the challenge of establishing a new capability within an established (but growing) business and the responsibility of contributing towards Abcam’s discovery pipelines.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
- A BS Degree in biochemistry, chemistry, biology or other Life Sciences.
- A PhD or equivalent research experience
- Industrial/academic experience in delivering projects to tight deadlines.
- Desired experience on antibody technology and antibody application development.
- A track record of delivering successful innovation projects and products
- Commercial experience in Biotech industry
- Demonstrated capabilities in recruiting and managing teams of scientists.
- Motivated and enthusiastic team player with strong problem solving capabilities.
- Collaborative worker, ideally with experience of working with numerous international business partners.
- Excellent communication and organizational skill is required.
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development