About the role
The successful candidate will be working in a specialised team dedicated to the isolation and manufacture of custom-made antibodies for external customers. This team is part of a dynamic global group that delivers a high standard, scientifically-supported approach to antibody discovery.
The scientist role involves both laboratory and analytical work; mainly working with, and co-ordinating immunohistochemical testing of products during discovery, including critical evaluation and reporting of staining profiles. There are opportunities to support and develop technology improvements and process development and to help implement new strategies and ensure we continue to make the best quality antibodies. Knowledge and learnings will be shared with the global organisation, ensuring best practices are applied. This role also involves customer and commercial interactions; liaising with project management, scientific teams and customers from initial project scoping to final delivery, meeting or exceeding customer expectations and supporting our customers to discover more, faster.
Within Abcam there is a cross-functional IHC group, including scientists working within New Product Development and an ISO13485-accreditated team and the successful candidate will join and contribute to this community.
About the department
Abcam Custom Solutions Division is a global operation that delivers tailor-made recombinant antibody solutions to exacting specifications that are derived using RabMAb® technology, our patented antibody technology, for the development of high quality rabbit monoclonal Ab, B cell Cloning, Next Generation Sequencing or AxioMx™, our phage display platform. Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies benefit from our custom antibody development, using the products in various applications including translational research, IHC, and in vitro diagnostics. As part of the Pleasanton team you will contribute to the discovery of antibodies using the B cell cloning RabMAb technology but interact with the wider global team, including those involved with delivery of custom antibodies from other platforms and the in-house new product development teams.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Provide scientific input on project design and planning for Ab discovery projects using B cell cloning
- Design, oversee and perform IHC experiments to evaluate and qualify Ab during discovery
- Critical evaluation and interpretation of IHC slides with generation of customer-facing written reports, including advice and recommendations
- Manage the scheduling of laboratory work, liaising with project managers to give critical updates and delivery dates
- Provide support for members of the team, sustaining the advance of scientific development and output
- Contribute to and support technology implementation and process improvements, sharing best practices with other global teams
- Attend customer meetings, as required, and support commercial interactions, providing accurate delivery dates, required documentation and with accountability for data
- Document experiments and procedures in laboratory notebooks, analysing and presenting experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOP’s)
- Role model working in a safe and efficient working environment in the Laboratory and ensure the safety of your colleagues and visitors, and support team adherence to all health and safety guidelines
- Maintain high quality standards within the lab; ensuring the lab is compliant with all external and internal quality standards
- Contribute to additional activities within the team, as required (e.g. Ab purification, molecular cloning, assay cascades)
- Relevant bio-pharmaceutical industry experience, with a preference for antibody discovery experience.
- Expertise in molecular biology
- Expertise in antibody validation, particularly for IHC applications.
- Strong interpersonal and excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and effectively with limited oversight.
- Ability to establish strong working relationships within the company, and with collaborators and customers.
- Ability to maintain accurate and detailed records.
- Ph.D. qualification or equivalent in life sciences, with a strength in immunology, molecular biology and biochemistry
- Understand ISO, FDA and applicable quality, health, safety and environmental standards, as required
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers’ success and their research needs.
It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.